Tourism Investment Process
The Investment Facilitation Section in the Department of Tourism (DoT) under the Ministry of Tourism, Industry and Ni Vanuatu Business Development of Vanuatu is responsible to facilitate investment in the tourism and hospitality sector. The Department will work with investors to identify potential Investment opportunities in one of the best locations in Vanuatu. Responsible Officers will also identify appropriate legal, financial, architectural, engineers and other professional services required to assist with any project of interest in collaboration with Vanuatu Foreign Investment Authority.
The primary legislation that provides benefits and incentives to investors in the tourism and hospitality sector in Vanuatu is the Customs Duty Exemption Act. The Act clearly states that the Director of Tourism may approve duty exemption of customs duty for goods imported exclusively for the construction of new hotels or resorts, Or renovation and expansion of an existing resort, Or an addition of a minimum of 10 rooms, Or new facilities to include a casino, gym and conference facilities.
Customs Import Duty Exemption Approval Process
Documents required for Customs Import Duty Exemption are:
- Copy of Business Plan/Proposal
- Copy of Architectural design if intending on building a resort/ guest house etc...
- Copy of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report
- Copy of VIPA Approval Certificate if it is a Foreign Investor
- Copy of Business License
- List of items to be imported overseas.
- An administration fee of VT 12,000
Procedures and Services
The Department will liaise with all the other government agencies to
assist investors to access the benefits available within existing
tourism development legislation. Developers may access tax concessions
under the Customs Import Duty Exemption Act Part III in the following
- Filling in an application form and submit to the Department of Tourism for approval.
- Approval letter is submitted to Department of Customs.
- Once the application is approved it has to be managed within the scope of relevant laws.
- Any approval is valid for only one year but subject to renewal if project continues into the following year.