Department of Tourism Administration
VSTAP - Vanuatu Strategic Tourism Action Plan
The Vanuatu Strategic Tourism Action Plan (VSTAP) replaced the Vanuatu Tourism Master Plan of 2004 and the Vanuatu Tourism Action Plan of 2008.
It was the umbrella plan for the tourism sector with 48 action tasks to be implemented over 4 years, from 2014 to 2018 . Eleven action tasks were later merged with other activities due to similarities, this brought the total down to 37. Out of the 37 action tasks, 30 have been completed.. Of these 7 activities to be completed, 4 are infrastructure projects not under the control of MTTCNVB (e.g. VAIP, PVUDP and two Town Beautification projects for PVMC and LMC) all of which are being implemented through other agencies.
New Zealand was the core donor for the implementation of the VSTAP. There was also coordination with other funding agencies (VSP, IFC/WB, EU, ADB, SPC) who had appetite to support some of the action tasks.
VSTAP’s Value Statement: Sustainable tourism takes account of its current and future economic, social, cultural and environmental impacts by balancing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and host communities.
Vision: Tourism celebrates Vanuatu’s culture and environment, empowers its people and captivates its visitors throughout its islands.
The VSTAP identifies five key priorities for the Tourism
1. Deliver tourism benefits to the outer islands
2. Focus all key efforts on core markets
3. Invest in planning and building infrastructure that will benefit tourism
4. Address the expectations of the tourism markets
5. Work effectively and with clarity on who does what for Vanuatu tourism
Six key objectives for future tourism development outlined in
1. Improving Governance, Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Building
2. Destination Marketing to increase visitor value
3. Product Development to make Vanuatu more competitive
4. Well planned Infrastructure and Transport Access
5. Increase local and foreign Tourism Investment
6. A co-ordinated approach to Human Resource Development
Projects completed under the VSTAP include:
- Destination Website Redevelopment
- Vanuatu Tourism Infrastructure Project (VTIP)
- Vanuatu Sustainable Tourism Policy
- Destination Marketing Strategy
- Microfinance Scoping Study
- National Tourism Awards
On-going VSTAP Projects include:
- Vanuatu Tourism Permits and Accreditation Program (VTPAP)
- Handicrafts Business Development Program (HBDP)
- Tourism Ambassadors Program
- VTO Marketing Activities (Destination Branding & Market Positioning strategy)
- Vanuatu Discovery Trails Program